Sunday, November 12, 2023

The Turkey Trot Blog Hop - My Turn!

 


Welcome to my first Turkey Trot Blog Hop entry!

I can't believe this day is here already!  As if you can't tell, this is my first time sharing at this, or for that matter ANY, blog hop, and I am just a bit nervous and excited.  

I have been a long time admirer of both Joan's and Carol's blogs, and their amazing quilting skills. I've loved looking at all the beautiful work of past blog hop participants, wishing I had the nerve and the skills to make something like any of the projects I was looking at.

I have no idea what motivated me to email Joan last month and ask if I could participate in this month's hop.  I was just clicking through her blog, looking at all the wonderful things there, and on a whim decided to try it out.  She was gracious enough to let me join in, and so here I am!  An old lady who is a newbie at this!

I love to quilt, but I like smaller projects rather than big quilts, probably because I not a fast quilter.  An entire quilt would take me a year or more! I like to see a finished project, so I love making things like table runners, bags, placemats, and mug rugs.  And pincushions!

As I began planning my project for this turkey challenge, I was worried I wouldn't have enough fall or Thanksgiving fabric to choose from.  But I had more than I thought!  I love seasonal fabric and decorating for each season and holiday.  My husband will testify that I love buying fabric no matter what the season!  :)

I was debating between making a pillow or a bag, and decided on the bag! I'm sorry if you were expecting a quilt!  I didn't really have a plan, I just decided to wing it (no pun intended). 😁  I found a cute turkey to make as a focus for the front of the bag, so I fussy cut it out.  Then, I just proceeded to add fabric around it that I liked and fit the theme.  I'm not very complicated!


I just kept adding more pieces until I liked the size of it!



I added a bottom piece that matches the back, and decided it was big enough to start quilting. In the photo below,  the front of the bag is lying on top of the back of the bag.  I left the back of the bag just one solid piece of fabric.  It is brown, with little silvery leaves that have a bit of shine to them.  I'm sorry you can't really see that from the picture - it's just gorgeous in real life!



The photo above shows after I quilted it, and I had trimmed it up a bit.  I used a cross-hatch quilting stitch, because I love the wrinkly kind of look it gives, and it makes it feel soft and squishy.  

Then I sewed it together, using the pattern Anyone Can Make This Bag, by Laura at Sweet Cinnamon Roses.  I've made several of these bags before, and I just love them.  It's a basic tote, but oh, so sweet!  And you can make the fronts and backs as cute as you want to!  It's a very adaptable pattern, and allows me to improvise easily!

Here it is, all finished!





The back of the bag


Now, I'm not a great quilter, nor a great photographer, but I'm a happy one!  I love making things, and I just have so much fun doing it!  I had a ball going through all my fall fabric for this project, and piecing it all together.  I usually forget to take any pictures at all, so I was quite proud of myself for remembering to photograph a few of the stages!

Thank you so much for taking a look at my project, and for letting me participate in your blog hop this month!  I hope you enjoyed your visit here!  Please feel free to look around the rest of my blog, which is mostly my Weekly Menu Plans.  But this may just motivate me to share more of what I make!

If you'd like to see more projects from some amazingly talented quilters, you can find the list of participating bloggers here:




Take care, enjoy all the wonderful projects being shared, and I hope to see you again real soon!

48 comments:

  1. Lovely, fun bag! That looks like a really versatile pattern. You have a lovely blogging style so keep sharing your makes. I look forward to trying some of your GF recipes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Raewyn! I appreciate your kind words, they mean so much to me! I had such fun with this, I'm planning on participating again next month. I hope you like some of the GF recipes I share! I share a lot of them, so hopefully you will find something yummy! Thanks for stopping by and sharing such a lovely comment! I hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  2. What a great bag! I love that you used the fussy cut motif in the center of the block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much for your kind words! I can't tell you how much I love receiving comments from readers! I hope you come back and visit often! Enjoy the rest of the blog hop!

      Delete
  3. Your bag is lovely! I like the fabrics and the turkey in the center--lining is neat too! The thing I like about these hops is that you are able to make anything you want! I hope you join in on more of these--they are fun (although I didn't join this month--but I will be part of the Virtual Cookie hop).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the nice comment, Carol! It means so much to me that you took time to look at my post, and to respond to it! I had so much fun with this project, I plan on participating next month, too. We can Cookie Hop together! Thanks again, I hope to see you often!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you emailed me last month. Your blog is as wonderful as your bag is. Those fall fabrics just warm my heart! I had to laugh at your comment about your husband testifying that you love buying fabric...I bet I can safely say, all our husbands can say that! LOL!! Thanks for taking that leap and joining us. You are definitely a great addition to our inspirational group of bloggers and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Joan, you just made my day and my week and my whole month! You are so sweet to say that! You made me get all teary-eyed! I'm so glad you didn't ban me for life after looking at my messy work table! :) I can't tell you how much your words mean to me, especially since I've been looking at your blog for years and years and can't imagine how so much creativity oozes out of one human being. You're the lady who got me started making mug rugs years ago, after looking at your wonderful projects! Thanks so much for hosting these blog hops, and for letting me jump in and participate. I had a ball! I will definitely be joining as many of these as I can!

      Delete
  5. OM goodness, your bag is adorable. My husband always tells me that I should be doing 'smaller' projects so I was pleased to have your bag in my repertoire. Just what the doctor ordered!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LJ! I'm so glad you stopped by to look at my project! You will love making this bag. I have made at least 6 of these, and I've loved every one of them. I give them away as gifts, and the girls who received them use them all the time. Thanks so much for visiting my little blog, I sure hope I see you again soon! Happy sewing!

      Delete
  6. You are such a wonderful addition to our blog hoppers! No one says it has to be a quilt to join in and making a bag is perfect for our hops. I love this bag and how you used those amazing fabrics for it. I need to check out that pattern because one can never have too many patterns or fabrics! Yes, my husband would join that list to testify about my fabric buying. LOL Thank you for sharing this beautiful bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Carol, you are so sweet! Thanks so much for such kind words! You and Joan are making me all teary-eyed this morning! I have made so many bags from Laura at Sweet Cinnamon Roses - her patterns are great. And she also has videos for visual learners like me! You're right about never having too many patterns or fabric! :) I have a stack of Wanna Makes next to my sewing table, and it just keeps getting higher and higher! Thanks for making my day, and my week, and my month! And thanks for letting me sneak in for next month's hop! You're a sweetie, and I'm so glad something pushed me to join in!

      Delete
  7. Joansy, you have such an eye for fabric and this turkey bag is just perfect for autumn shopping or toting books to the library! I am a small project quilter myself and get great joy out of creating and finishing a project in a few days. It never seems to lessen the fabric piles, though! So glad you joined the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy! I'm taking this bag with me tonight when I take my granddaughter to tennis practice. It's perfect for holding my cross stitch project, and my knitting as well! It's so nice to meet another small project quilter! Thanks for your kind words - I truly appreciate you taking time to be so kind! Hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  8. Your bag is so cute and fun! Perfect for the season. I'm a quilter who loves to make small things, too - so you're not alone. Working with fabric and thread, shapes and color is so satisfying, no matter what size the finished product is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice it is to receive such a kind comment! You're absolutely right about how satisfying it is to sew and create something with fabric! I hope you come back and visit often, it's so great to meet you!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful fall bag! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin! 'm so glad you visited my blog today!

      Delete
  10. This is just a fantastic bag! I love these types of totes. Glad you joined the blog hop. I have just joined this one and the Virtual Cookie Exchange myself. They are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks, Danette! I love these totes, too. It's so nice to meet another "newbie" to the blog hops! I didn't realize what I was missing! I can't wait to see your project! Thanks so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  11. Love the fall fabrics you chose. I think this bag would be perfect to take the cookies, cake etc to a family meal....and/or maybe for bringing leftovers back home! ;o). Or maybe just as a hostess gift? Great tote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheree! Fabric choice is always difficult for me, so I'm really glad you like what I chose! I give away almost every bag I make, but I'm thinking I may just keep this one. Unless, of course, one of my granddaughters claims it! LOL Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate them so much!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on joining in on your 1st blog hop!!!
    Your bag is awesome! I love how you used those fall colours! Great job! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail! I'm so glad I signed up! It has been so much fun! I appreciate your kind words, and I'm so glad you stopped by to visit and look at my project. I hope I see you again soon!

      Delete
  13. You did a great job! I love this bag and love that you took a chance. Its a fabulous choice and will be inspiring to the hoppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice of you to say, Kathleen! I appreciate it so much! Thanks for being so supportive - it's out of my comfort zone to take a chance, and I've been a bit nervous about it. It's so nice of you to take time to make such a nice comment!

      Delete
  14. Welcome! So glad you decided to join in the fun. Your bag is darling and so useful. You can never have too many totes! I love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Charlene! I have had a lot of fun....I didn't know what I was missing! :)

      Delete
  15. Welcome! Your bag turned out SEW cute! Hope to see you hopping again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you joined the hop! Your bag is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Elizabeth! I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  18. What a fabulous bag. I, too, have a favourite tote bag pattern. Why mess with success? BTW, your first blog hop was a great success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You just made my day! Thanks so much for that nice comment! I think I'll frame it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bag came out so cute. I love that it is like a log cabin, but it is so nice that it is off center too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! I think I'm a little off center, too! 😂 That's why my bags turn out like they do! I'm so glad you liked it!

      Delete
  21. Great tote. Love that you were able to use your stash for this project. Congratulations on entering and posting your first HOP. Be careful they are addicting. This is just a great group of quilters to hang out with, so glad you are joining the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment, Selina! Thank you! I can see what you mean about them being addicting - I think I'm already addicted! :) But, I like that they give me a focus that I wouldn't have thought of myself. And they're fun! Thanks again for the kind words!

      Delete
  22. What a beautiful bag for fall. Love it so much! I never have too many pretty bags! After seeing your fall one, I may have to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh, I feel like I've just been knighted by the queen! :) I'm a long-time fan of your blog, and I can't believe you actually commented on my measly blog! I feel just like my granddaughter would feel if she just got Taylor Swift's autograph! Well, needless to say, you've made my day! Thank you so much! (I'm pinching myself) (Am I dreaming?)

      Delete
  23. What a beautiful bag! And I just love the autumnal colours. You are very talented Joansy!
    Thank you so much for joining in with #MMBC. Hope to see you again next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jayne, that was so nice of you to say! I'm so glad you like it! I will try to share more often! I'm kind of a slow quilter! :) Have a wonderful weekend, and thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you visit often!

      Delete
  24. Your lovely bag is a feature over at this week's Handmade Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! That is so nice of you! I'm a little bit shocked! But thanks so much for featuring it! Have a blessed Thanksgiving, and thanks again!

      Delete
  25. I love that turkey logo up the top of your post. Did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought she was cute too! No, I didn't create her. I have a ton of clipart saved, I used to be an elementary school teacher and used it for worksheets and decorations.

      Delete