Thursday, February 1, 2018

Crockpot Western Omelet

Happy Groundhog Day tomorrow!  I don't know what you're wishing for, but I sure hope he doesn't see his shadow!  I'm ready for spring!

This morning I made the Crockpot Western Omelet, except for one tiny detail - I baked it in the oven instead.  It took a little over an hour in my oven at 375 degrees, but turned out good!

NOTE:  The directions for making this in the crockpot are right below the recipe.


I have several versions of this recipe. The one I used today was from Mr. Breakfast, but I tweaked it a little bit.  Here is the recipe:

Crockpot Western Omelet



1 (30 oz.) pkg, frozen shredded hash browns
1 pound diced cooked ham
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
8 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  Spray 9 X 13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

2.  Layer: 1/3 of the hash browns, 1/3 of the diced ham, 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the green pepper, about 3/4 cup cheese.  Repeat layers.  The top three layers should be the last third of the hash browns, the last third of the cheese, and the last third of the ham.

3.  In a medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt, and pepper.

4.  Pour this mixture carefully over the layers.  You can cover and refrigerate this overnight, or you can bake it right away.

5.  Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.  Check for doneness.  A knife inserted into the middle should come out clean.  My oven, which tends to bake on the cool side, took 1 hour and 15 minutes. 

Directions for making this recipe in the crockpot:

1.  Use a 6 qt. crockpot. 

2.  Spray the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.

3.  Layer the ingredients exactly as described above.  Pour the egg mixture over the layers.

4.  Cook on low for 5 to 6  hours.  Check it after 4 hours, because the outside edges and the bottom will burn if your crockpot runs hot like mine does.  It has happened to me!   If it doesn't test done (use a knife inserted in the middle, it should come out clean), let it go another hour and test it again. Repeat as needed.

When I made this in my old crockpot, I could let it go for 8 hours overnight and it didn't burn.  But in the crockpot I have now, it burns if I leave it go for 6 hours.  It only takes 4 hours in the crockpot I have now.  That's why I recommend testing it after 4 hours.  You can almost tell by looking at if it's done.  It should not be runny at all, and the cheese should be melted through.

We like to have breakfast for dinner, and this is a great recipe to use for that.  Then you can put this on in the late morning or early afternoon and it will be ready for dinner.





2 comments:

  1. Would you post the recipe using a crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! I will add the crockpot directions right underneath the recipe above. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete