Saturday, August 11, 2018

Weekly Menu Plan for August 12 to August 18, 2018

It's been a tad hot out there!  Most days we've had here in August have been too muggy and sticky to be outside for long.  I sure wish the kids didn't have to be sitting in a classroom all day - this is prime swimming weather!

This week's menu continues with some good old-fashioned comfort food for the kids, as they transition into being in school all week.  They are coming home hot and tired, and ready for some relaxing family dinner time.

The oldest granddaughter is in high school, and the first football game is this coming Friday.  We always enjoy going to the games, and cheering on our team. She is in marching band, and oh my goodness they are so good!  I can't wait to see their show for this year.  Last year was SO GOOD, I don't know how they can top it!  My kids went to the same high school my grandkids go to.  When my son was in the same marching band she is in, they won the Bands of America National Competition.  That was so exciting - and my granddaughter is in the same band!  They always make the Finals competition, but haven't won it again since then.  I would love for her to experience that!

But on to this week's menu plan.  First off, it will help if you cook all the chicken you need for the week at the beginning of the week.  Usually on Sunday, I toss frozen chicken tenderloins (I buy the big bags of them at Sams Club) in my crockpot with some seasoned chicken broth, set it on low, and let them go all day.  When they are done, I just drain them and put them in a covered bowl in the fridge, ready to use when I need them.  If I have cooked more than I need, I just chop the chicken and make a bowl of chicken salad for lunches.

Here is this week's menu plan:  (Recipe notes and links are below)
For a printable copy, please click HERE.


Sunday:

Chicken and Rice Bake is from Mommy's Kitchen - this recipe makes two 9X13 casseroles.  I usually just take one of them to my daughter's house so they can enjoy it, but you can freeze one to use later.  I have never frozen the 2nd one, though.  I like giving it to someone just to be nice!

Banana Cream Pie Bars is from Like Mother Like Daughter - a yummy no-bake dessert!

Monday:

Ham and Egg Breakfast Sliders are from Mom Endeavors - she actually calls them Gameday Breakfast Sliders.  These are really good, my family gobbles them up.  Make these the night before, follow her directions to #6 on her recipe, where it says you can refrigerate them at this point.  Cover them with aluminum foil, then all you have to do in the morning is brush them with the melted butter and bake for 15-20 minutes. It makes your morning much easier, because most of the dishes and pots and pans from prepping the recipe are already done!  

State Fair Casserole is from Everyday Mom's Meals - this is really a corn dog casserole. It's much easier to make than corn dogs on a stick, and kids love this meal.  Since the State Fair started the same day school started, there's not much chance the kids will be able to go.  So this way they at least get a taste of some state fair food!  This is a dinner made for kids!

Tuesday:

Yogurt Parfaits - this isn't really a recipe, I just layer vanilla yogurt, strawberries or blueberries, and granola in individual dishes.  I repeat the layers twice.  That's it - super easy!

Broccoli Cauliflower Bacon Salad is from Genius Kitchen - we all love this salad.  Since I use frozen chicken patties and onion rings, this is the only thing I need to prep early in the day.  I like to make it in the morning or the night before serving, then just pull it out of the fridge at dinner time.  There are lots of recipes for this salad, but this one is my favorite and the one I always make.

No-Bake Banana Split Dessert is from Sugar Apron - sometimes I just line the pan with whole honey graham crackers, and let them soften all day from the cream filling poured over them.

Wednesday:

Meatloaf is from Yummy Healthy Easy - sometimes the best recipes are the easiest!  This is very similar to what my mom used to make, and it just beats the other fancy ones I've tried hands down!

Thursday:

Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo is from Delish - I have made this a bunch of times.  My grandkids love bowtie noodles, and anything Alfredo.  So this dish is always a hit with them!  I have made the sauce as per the recipe from Delish, but if I am in a hurry I just use 2 jars of bottled Alfredo sauce from the store.  Still good!  The homemade sauce is definitely richer and better, but sometimes I just need a quick substitute!  

Friday:

Crockpot Swedish Meatballs is from The Country Cook - this is one of my favorite recipes!  I use frozen meatballs from Sam's Club that are gluten free, and I like it served over mashed potatoes.  But everyone else in my family likes it best served over egg noodles, so this week I am treating them to their noodles!

Blueberry Pie is from Veronica's Cornucopia - I haven't tried this one yet, but I cannot wait to make it!  It sounds yummy!


That's it for this week!  I hope you find something you and your family like, or you can use an idea or two to help you plan!






2 comments:

  1. It all sounds yummy! I grew up in California and we never started school until after Labor Day. I raised my kids in Oklahoma and even though I've lived here since 1980, starting school this early has never felt "normal" to me. I'm with you...it feels like kids should still be swimming rather than sitting at a desk. On the other hand, getting out in May rather than June has its rewards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deanna! I grew up in a Chicago suburb, and we never started school until after Labor Day either. Although that was back in the day when American Bandstand was on TV and we were swooning over Neil Sedaka singing Breaking Up Is Hard To Do! Those were the days, my friend! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete