Sunday, August 8, 2021

Weekly Menu Plan for August 8-14, 2021

 


Isn't it just darn sad that kids are already back in school?  Here it is, 90 degrees outside and perfect swimming weather for the kids, and they sit in a classroom looking out at the bright sunshine.  One of our middle schools is right next to a water park!  The kids can see it right outside their windows!  How hard would that be to concentrate on school stuff??

Anyway, it is going to be hot, HOT, HOT this week, so I am planning to grill out a couple times.  I also am having salad for dinner twice, because it's the kind of heat that makes you not hungry.  I don't like anything heavy when it is hot outside.  The chicken salad on Wednesday uses leftover grilled chicken from Tuesday night, so if you want to try those recipes, make some extra grilled chicken on Tuesday.  That way you just have to prep the salad on Wednesday.  I will be using gluten free pasta in my salad.

Just for fun, and because I wanted to make my air conditioning work overtime, I baked three coffee cakes this afternoon to share with the families at the bus stop tomorrow morning.  There are so many parents and grandparents at the bus stop this year!  I told my granddaughter, who is in 5th grade, that this year I would be watching her from the window or the front step (her bus stop is right across the street from her house).  But when I saw all the parents and grandparents out there, I felt guilty!  So I dragged my sorry self across the street and joined them.  I might change my mind when the weather gets cold, though!

A funny story about the coffee cake.  Right before COVID hit last year, the grandparents of a family across the street from my daughter's house moved here from Alabama.  They moved here to help their daughter and son-in-law with their three little ones.  I baked them a coffee cake to welcome them right after they moved here.  Well, Thursday morning at the bus stop the grandparents were there to see their grandkids off on the first day of school.  Right after the bus pulled away, the grandfather came up to me and said, "Well, we've lived here over 15 months now, and we love it here.  We all made it through COVID and are glad things are getting back to normal.  But.....that coffee cake you made.  I've been thinking about it for 15 months, and want to know where and when I can have another one!  Just tell me the time and place, and I'll be there!"  

Well, that made me laugh and I was quite surprised!  Last year, I drove my granddaughter to and from school, so she didn't ride the bus.  I never saw those grandparents during the school year.  And here I find out the poor guy has been craving a coffee cake for a year and a half!  So that's why I made three coffee cakes today.  One whole cake for the grandparents, and I'm cutting up the rest to give to the other parents.  I guess I forget sometimes that a lot of people don't bake!  

Now on to this week's menu plan.  Here it is in all it's glory!  It's a pretty simple week, really.  I hope you find something you'd like to try!

Well, for some reason, Google is not allowing me to embed my slide here without it being HUGE and covering the whole thing.  So for right now, I am posting a picture of it, and then after I figure out what is going wrong, I will post the slide with the active links to the recipes.  Here is the picture:

The links will not be active on this, but I will try and figure out what is going wrong and will repost it with the active links.  Sorry about that!
Have a great week, and will post as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment