Tuesday, January 23, 2024

January White Rabbit Challenge

 It's my turn today for the long-awaited:


When I signed up for this challenge, I was all
But when I actually sat down and tried to plan a project for this challenge, I was more like
When y'all say challenge, you mean CHALLENGE, don't you?  As in, fry my brain challenge. I tried to get started, I really did.  I pulled out some fabric.  And then some more.  I looked and looked through my stash, pulling out any prints I could find with rabbits on them.  And you know what I found?  A bunch of Easter fabric.  Everything looked Easter-ish.  Not what I wanted for January!  Now what???  Time to shop!  So I went to several quilt shops - now I had a real excuse to shop for fabric!!  I shopped.  And shopped.  And guess what?  I found NOTHING with rabbits.  NOTHING.  Except a couple little baby themed prints, and the rabbits weren't white, they were pink and blue. 

So back home.  And back to my stash.  Let's try S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G the theme.  I have to think outside the box, I told myself.  It was then I discovered that I don't think that well INSIDE the box, much less OUTSIDE the box.  Do I even know where the box is???  I don't think I do!  Enter, chocolate.  My last hope.  And miraculously, after only one Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, I got an idea.  Not a great one.  Not even a really good one.  But it was all I had, so I went with it.

I poked around my fabric one last time looking for a print with rabbits on it that could go with winter or snow and looked less Easter-y.  I decided maybe this would work.  I laid out my fabric:


YAY!  It could work!  At least, that's what I told myself.  Now what to do with it?  I pulled out several patterns for blocks.  Nothing looked good.  Then, I pulled out my pattern for a Weebraw Bag (did I mention I love to make bags?  Any kind of bags?  Every kind of bag? ) from Laura at Sweet Cinnamon Roses.  She makes the cutest bags, and her patterns are all so easy to follow (see paragraph above where I discuss thinking outside the box and my lack thereof).  

And I put together a reasonable facsimile of a good project for this month's theme!  I'm faking confidence here.


See the little bunnies inside?  On the lining?


My Bunnies in the Snow Drawstring Bag

I added a little snowflake to make it seem more wintery.  And the white fabric is falling snow, or more accurately falling snowballs.  So it's a January winter rabbit bag, right??  Right???? 

Whatever it is, it is really an adorable little drawstring bag!  I love the pink and white, I love the sweet little rabbits, and I have used it to carry my cross stitch projects back and forth from home to tennis practice.  Not my tennis practice, my granddaughter's.  I have to practice getting up out of a chair without using my hands.  Tennis at this point is a bit of a stretch.  Just like this project!!  :)

But wait!!!  There's MORE!!!  While I was making this bag, I kept looking at this funny little fat quarter with rabbits on it.  It was awfully cute.  I wished I had used it instead to make something.  But I only had a fat quarter.  Hmmm.   Maybe another piece of chocolate would help.  More chocolate + Fabric = PROJECT #2!!  

I looked up one of my favorite projects on You Tube from Yoan Sewing Studio.  It is called the Cellphone Pouch with Wristlet.  I have made dozens of these!  I make at least one every month that is themed for that month.  I use them all the time, and most of my friends have asked for them.  They are perfect for going shopping or going to sporting events when you don't want to take your entire purse.  It has 2 zipper pockets, one slip pocket, and a wristlet for carrying it.  I slip my phone in the biggest zipper pocket, gum, mints, and lens wipes in the slip pocket, and money and ID in the smaller zipper pocket.  

Here's the one I was currently using for January, until I finished my new one:

You can tell it's well loved.  I use it every day - I just throw it in my purse when I'm not using it by itself.  I always keep my phone in it, especially in my purse.  It keeps my phone cleaner and it doesn't get scratched.  

Now on with my new project.  Sorry.  I got sidetracked.

I found some coordinating fabric and got started:


These little pouches don't take much to make!  I usually cut them out in an evening, and sew them together the next afternoon.  I can make a couple in an afternoon.

Here's how it turned out:
Cute little rabbits sticking out from some red polka dots!  The red polka dots match the bow tie on the rabbit in the middle!  These COULD BE considered white rabbits, don't ya think?  At least they're almost white!  With little pink cheeks.  So sweet!  And now, I will carry this one for the rest of January and hopefully it will bring me some good luck.  I just love these little wristlet pouches!  

Finally!   It's time for me to celebrate that I at least have SOMETHING to share today!  It may not be up to your usual January Challenge Expectations, but I tried!  At least I can get a Participation Award, right??
Okay, I'll settle for a smiley face. And a carrot cake latte.  Here I am celebrating:


Yes, I knit that sweater myself - in between January Challenge projects.  :)  Just kidding.

So that's a Bunny Wrap!  Time for all of us bunnies to go night-night!  I don't know about you, but I'm worn out!  This challenge got the best of me, that's for sure.  Maybe a little nap and some chocolate will revive me.  It may even give me some inspiration for my next project........we shall see!  :)  

Thanks for stopping by and following along on my bunny adventures for January! Every time I wear my bunny jammies, I'll think of this challenge and be glad I made it through!


Until next time,  Bunny Hugs from

35 comments:

  1. Darling cell phone case and bag, Those rabbit fabrics are definitely perfect for both projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects are both wonderful. I especially like your bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
    2. On top of your great projects your post was terrific. I always look at these hops (I have been participating for years) as brain exercise. Some months easier than others in that department. I never thought of using chocolate as a metal stimulus, thanks for that hint. Thanks also for the link to the sweet wristlet.

      Delete
    3. Selina, thank you for such a nice comment! And yes, chocolate is the solution to so many problems!πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  3. What a great challenge story, you had me snorting my coffee! Love your makes. I MUST get some bunnies in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you laughed along with me, Nikki! Last night, I was searching online for other fabric, and all of a sudden bunny prints are everywhere! Ah, the irony!! πŸ˜„ I better stock up for another challenge! Thanks for the nice comment!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, you totally had me laughing this morning as I read your post. Now I know that the solution to being stuck on what to create is to eat chocolate. Yay! I love chocolate! You definitely met the challenge with the bag and wristlet. They are so cute and useful all in one...sweet! Thank you for the morning laugh, inspiration, and beautiful creations! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, your comment made me laugh! You know how to make an old lady tax her brain, that's for sure! πŸ˜‚ I really had so much fun with this challenge, thanks for coming up with it! I have to love anything that leads me to chocolate!

      Delete
  5. Adorable projects, you definitely rose to the occasion! Thanks so much for sharing your hilarious thought processes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only my husband thought I was so hilarious!!πŸ˜‚ Thanks for your sweet comment, Karrin!

      Delete
  6. You need to be a professional writer. I just love reading your posts. So many ways I can relate to what you’re saying! LOL! You hit the White Rabbit theme right on the head and gave us a great start to our day as well! Love your bag and those sweet cell phone cases too!! πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for all the nice compliments! I'm blushing! I told my husband you said I should be a professional writer, and he spit out his coffee Danny Thomas style! Are you old enough to remember that?? I'm so glad you stopped by, and I thank you SO MUCH for your sweet comment!❤

      Delete
  7. You definitely have made some bunny inspired pieces that do not scream Easter. They are wonderful. I love the drawstring bag. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the drawstring bag, too! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  8. Fun! I love the bunnies on the wristlet and thank you for sharing that pattern! I need to give it a try and have already pulled up the page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, if you're like me, you won't know which bag to make first! She has so many tutorials, and they are all so easy to follow. I have no idea how many bags of hers I've made. I just watch her you tube tutorials and follow her instructions. You will love the wristlet bag. I use mine every day! Thanks for the nice comment, and good luck with your bag!

      Delete
  9. Smiles and /chuckles. There is my first response to reading your post today. You are an Everready bunny, do you know that. I could hardly keep pace with you as you went about meeting this challenge. Wow! From that great drawstring bag right to the goodnight PJ's I was following right along in your footsteps. and the bonus, well the link so I can have a cell phone tote with wristlet, maybe these might become an all star rage for women like me , over the longest hill, and now coasting along playing each day as often as possible. Thanks, and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lynn, I love your comment so much! It made my day! You will love that wristlet pouch! Just watch her you tube tutorial for it and follow along! If you need any help with it, just email me. They go together very quickly, especially after making a couple. I am in that over the hill gang, as are most of my friends, and we all use those little pouches every day. Thanks so much for your lovely comment!
      Good luck with your wristlet, and if you have any trouble with it (which I doubt you will) let me know and I will make one for you and mail it to you.

      Delete
  10. You had me giggling at "Do I even know where the box is???" And as I read further through the post, you had me literally laughing out loud!
    To heck with the box, you managed to make 2 great projects and all you needed was chocolate, not a box! Unless it is a box of chocolates!
    Thanks for the laughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Gail! Your comment made me smile! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! A box of chocolates sounds awfully good right now, I may keep one in my sewing room just for these challenges. 😁

      Delete
  11. Love the drawstring bag - it's just adorable! And the pouch is super cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post! I love your sense of humour. All that angst over what to make certainly was helped along with an infusion of chocolate (isn't everything!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What a nice comment! And I have to agree with your comment about chocolate! It makes everything just a little sweeter!!
      Thanks again for stopping by and checking out my projects! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  13. For someone who can't think outside the box, you sure showed that you could--with style! That drawstring bag is adorable and so useful! And that cell phone bag. Well, no wonder your friends keep asking you to make them one. And so cute. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss and for entering the giveaway.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/01/24/wednesday-wait-loss-364

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jennifer, you are too kind!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and thanks for hosting the Wednesday Wait Loss! Heaven knows I could use a little 'wait' loss myself, thanks to all that chocolate! :) I appreciate your kind words more than you know!

      Delete
  14. Truly inspired, and I appreciate the source of your inspiration. Perhaps I need some chocolate too. . . Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day is a good day for chocolate, I always say! Thanks for your nice comment, Sharon, and thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  15. Great projects and I always find chocolate helps get my brain functioning and speeds up inspiration. Love the little bag and the phone case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey! Ah, the powers of chocolate! :)

      Delete
  16. These are some great bunny projects. Another piece of chocolate is always the solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bumbleberry Stitches! I agree with you about the chocolate! :) I'm so glad you stopped by, I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete