Monday, January 15, 2018

Cherry Crisp Pie

Today was a great day for making snow angels....or for staying inside for some baking and sewing, which is what I chose to do.  To me, snow looks prettier from INSIDE my kitchen!

Now I know I had Pineapple Upside Down Cake on my menu plan today, but.....for some reason I never made this Cherry Crisp I had intended to make a couple weeks ago on January 3rd.  I was wanting something quick and easy to make this morning, so I could get some sewing done.  So I made an executive decision and Cherry Crisp Pie was in the oven before I even ate breakfast!

The original recipe came from Julie's Eats and Treats.  She called it Cherry Crunch Pie or Cherry Crumble Pie.  For some reason, I kept thinking of it as Cherry Crisp Pie by mistake, and that name has been branded on my brain.  But Julie's Eats and Treats is where it came from!

I only changed a couple things.  I made it gluten free, and added a sprinkle of brown sugar and an extra can of cherry pie filling.  I also baked it at 375 degrees because my oven tends to run a bit cold. My husband loved it warm from the oven, with some vanilla ice cream on top.  I like mine cold, so I refrigerated some for me and it was so good!

Here it is fresh from the oven:
Here is how I made it:

Cherry Crisp Pie

1 stick of butter, (1/2 cup), room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup quick oats (I used gluten free oats)
2 cans cherry pie filling
1/4 cup brown sugar

1.  Mix the butter, 1 cup brown sugar, flour, and oats in a medium sized bowl. (I used a wooden spoon to mix it together). 

2.  Pour at least 1/2 of that mixture into a pie plate, and press with a wooden spoon to cover the bottom and sides of the pan.  I used maybe 2/3 of the mixture, because I wanted a sturdy bottom crust.  There was plenty left for the topping.

3.  Pour the 2 cans of cherry pie filling into the crust. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of brown sugar over the top of the cherries.

4.  Sprinkle the remaining oat/flour mixture over the top of the pie filling.

5.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned and crunchy.

We both enjoyed this after dinner with a nice cup of hot chocolate!





No comments:

Post a Comment