Thursday, February 15, 2018

Sausage 'N Sauerkraut

There was a hint of spring in the air today!  It was rainy, but warm!  And even though a cold front passes through tonight and leaves us much colder air for a couple days, it warms right back up to the 50's next week!

Today, I am sharing this recipe for Sausage 'N Sauerkraut from the Taste of Home website and magazine.  It is one of my favorite comfort foods.  I have been making this for years and years.  It doesn't look like much, and I have no idea what made me try this recipe the first time I made it after seeing it in an old Taste of Home magazine.  I remember thinking that no one would eat it except me, but I was wrong!  It is one of the only ways my kids and husband will eat sauerkraut.  I love sauerkraut and lots of other German foods, and this recipe is just so good!  At least it is, in my opinion!  If you don't like sauerkraut, you may disagree with me!

Here is a picture of it in my Dutch oven right before I served it over mashed potatoes:

I guess you could serve it over noodles, but there is no way I would do that!  This is SO GOOD over mashed potatoes!  I just don't want to try it any other way.

So here is the recipe:  (The only thing I change from the original recipe is that I use 2 cans of sauerkraut instead of one)


Sausage 'N Sauerkraut

2 pounds of Polish sausage or smoked sausage, sliced
1 can (16 oz) sauerkraut, drained  (I use 2 cans)
1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Mashed potatoes, prepared and ready to serve


1.  Prepare your mashed potatoes.

2.  In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the sausage, celery, onion, and green pepper.  Saute until the vegetables are tender, and the sausage pieces are nicely browned.

3.  Add the sauerkraut, tomatoes with liquid, brown sugar, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Mix well.

4.  Add the bay leaf on top.  Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.  

5.  Remove the bay leaf.

6.  Serve over mashed potatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment