Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Gluten Free Buttery Vanilla Pound Cake

I like cake.  A lot.  That is one of the hardest things about being gluten free.  Desserts just aren't what they used to be.  And since I am the only one in my family that is gluten free, most of the time I make dessert for them that is not gluten free.  I just am used to it.

But every so often, I want dessert.  Most often I want cake.  Sometimes pie, sometimes cookies, but most often cake.  Any kind of cake....coffee cake, pound cake, chocolate cake....whatever!

So when I ran across this recipe from Carla Hall for Buttery Vanilla Pound Cake, I knew I had to try it.  I don't get a chance to watch The Chew very often, but I've seen Carla Hall's desserts before and they always look REALLY GOOD!  Her recipe called for store-bought prepared vanilla pudding, and that is what caught my eye.  I have used dry pudding mix in a cake recipe, but never prepared pudding!  And I just had to try it!

The only tweaks I made to her recipe were I used gluten free flour (Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1), and I used 6 eggs instead of 5.  In addition, I made a box of Jell-O Vanilla Instant Pudding and used a cup of that instead of buying ready-made pudding at the store.  For baking, I used a 350 degree oven and baked it for exactly 1 hour and it turned out perfectly.  I opted for her chocolate glaze, and it may be my new favorite glaze for cake.  I LOVED IT!!



This cake rose beautifully, the crumb was very cake-like and not gummy at all, like so many gluten free cakes can be.  It had a very buttery vanilla flavor, and the glaze put the flavor over the top.  If you must know, the next day I made another batch of the glaze and drizzled it over the entire piece of cake I was eating. Because I need a few more calories.  It was totally worth it.

I tried taking a picture of a piece of the cut cake so you could see the texture, but I really take so-so pictures.  Anyway, here is my attempt:

See how moist and cake-like the texture is?  Oh, it is a really good gluten-free cake!

If you want to make this cake the way Carla Hall made it, and I am sure hers is out-of-this-world delicious, here is the link:  Buttery Vanilla Pound Cake.  I wish I could try it!!!

If you want to try my gluten-free version of her cake, my recipe is below.

If you want to print my gluten-free recipe, please click HERE.


This recipe is linked to Meal Plan Monday #103.



2 comments:

  1. Love your blog and what you do with your graphics. Would you email me at mypatchworkquilt@gmail.com? I have so many questions to ask you about how you do several things.This cake sounds like a winner. I definitely need to try it. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patricia! I emailed you this morning, and looking forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete