Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Ham and Bacon Grits Casserole

Sometimes when I go grocery shopping, I get carried away.  I look at something, like a ham, and if it's on sale like this one was, I think I want a BIG HAM.  We will have leftovers, hooray!

And then I make this BIG HAM (this one was 11 pounds), and it was so good Sunday night.  Spiral sliced, honey glazed, what's not to yum?  We ate and nibbled some more as we put it away, and when I got it out the next day it had grown back to its original size!  Maybe even bigger.  So I fried up a couple slices to eat with breakfast, and we had huge ham sandwiches at lunch time.  

And when I got it out the next day it had grown back to its original size. AGAIN.  And then I faced a brutal truth....we would never be able to eat all of this ham.  If we eat it every day until we die, there will still be leftovers.  I have outgrown my need for an 11 pound ham.  The bad news is, I have another one in my freezer.  They were on sale before Easter for 99 cents a pound at both Aldis and Meiers.   For spiral sliced ham!  And I have to tell you, Aldis carries the best spiral cut hams I have ever tasted.  Thank Heaven ham is gluten free, or we would really be ham-heavy.  So......

......here's my plan.  I made this quite yummy quiche-like Ham and Bacon and Grits Casserole.  It can be breakfast, or it can be dinner.  For us, it will be breakfast for a few days.  Then, I will boil the rest of the ham and the bone for several hours.  I will pull off the remaining 80 pounds of ham from the bone, strain the stock, and make soup with some of the remaining ham and some beans.  I will cube the remaining ham and freeze it.  And then I'm thinking I may gift the frozen ham, because I think this ham might be enough for me for awhile.  Yep.

Here is what it looked like fresh from the oven:



Here is my recipe for the Ham and Bacon Grits Casserole:

For a printable copy of this recipe, click HERE.


This recipe is linked to Menu Plan Monday #109 at Southern Bite.

1 comment: