Saturday, March 16, 2019

French Spice Bread

This past week, I was in the mood for a gluten free quick bread.  I wanted to try something new, but I didn't exactly know what I was looking for.  I searched around on Pinterest for awhile, and then this recipe jumped out at me.  French Spice Bread from Gourmande in the Kitchen.

It looked quick and easy to make, except for one thing.  I didn't have cashew butter.  I almost decided not to make it, and then it dawned on me that I had peanut butter.  Peanut butter is a nut butter, right?  So I decided to substitute the peanut butter for the cashew butter and see what happened.

I totally do not understand how nut butters can replace flour in a recipe, and I truly do not understand how you can make a loaf of bread with no flour.  But this recipe works!  The outcome is a dark, spicy, aromatic loaf of bread that reminds me of fall.  I will most definitely make this bread in the fall.  It slices beautifully, and has a glossy sheen that makes it a so pretty.  Now the spicy flavors are not hot spicy, they are cinnamon-clove spicy.  It is a very flavorful loaf, and spread with cinnamon cream cheese it is just wonderful with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Here it is right out of the oven:
It couldn't be easier to make.  You just whisk everything together in a bowl, pour it into a loaf pan, and bake.  I used one regular size loaf pan, but Gourmande in the Kitchen suggested two mini loaves.  Here is the recipe I used, adapted from Gourmande in the Kitchen.

French Spice Bread - For a printable recipe, click HERE.

4 large eggs
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
The zest of 1 medium orange
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2.  In a medium bowl. whisk together the eggs, peanut butter, and almond butter until combined.  Stir in the honey, spices, orange zest, and baking soda.
3.  Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until loaf is lightly browned and puffed.  A toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf should come out clean. 
4.  Remove the loaf from the baking pan, and place on a wire rack to cool.  Store the bread wrapped in an airtight container.

Here is a link to the original recipe:  French Spice Bread  

As you can see, I left out a couple of spices used in the original recipe because I didn't have them on hand.  The loaf still turned out beautifully.

If you enjoy dark, spicy bread I think you will like this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment